Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Uneven pavements and honking cars...

Sipping my watermelon juice, ppl-watching and second-hand smoking... I'm in a cute cafe near my homestay.. chillin'.. and finally havin' some private laptop time.

For the last 3 days, I've been interning with Dra Maria at a Service for Adolescents quite far away from where I stay. I've gotten pretty used to taking a minubus by myself travelling alone in La Paz, since I'm the only one with her this week. The rest of the participants are still at Hospital Del Nino. Basically, the work I do with Dra Maria is doing regular check ups for young adults, ages between 15 to 22ish who are pregnant. It was rather fascinating especially the first time I heard the baby's heartbeat... I was amazed.. It was beautiful. So sometimes, the patients may have some sort of vagina infection, but that's probably the most interesting that clinic gets? Like I'm definitely learning a lot.. but I still crave that adrenaline. Maybe I'll change my final rotation to peds surgery. hmmm.

So I've also started my Spanish lessons here. I have 3 hours of Spanish a day! Its quite tiring for my brain. esp when I only get like 1 and a half hr lunch break in between work at Spanish class. My teacher's quite old and strict. I'm trying to crack her, but it has proven to be quite difficult the last couple of days. At least I get a coffee break after 1.5 hrs into the class.

So making my way all over the city... I've been walking a lot.. not to mention, tripping a lot. Like literally ppl.... hahah. The uneven pavement makes me miss Singapore.. and even UK.. haha. I could take minubuses, but I dont really know where to take them from cause they dont actually have proper bus stops here. ppl just hop on and hop off! This is example of a minibus.. Minibuses are usually a fmaily/friend run business. See the guy sticking his head out... as the bus drive past the people walking on the pavement, he shouts out loud destinations that the bus is heading towards and ppl just hop on...



So they honk SOOO much here its ridiculous. Smitha says is exactly like India here. So maybe Sita, you can imagine how the roads are here. With no exact lane definition or differentiation. Its quite a crazy mess on the roads here. Hence the ppl in zebra outfits. Lol. Smitha and I are learning how to be crazy road crossers. I squeeze in between cars and "jayrun" across the road. opps. I would have gotten fined like a million times in my fine city!

Anyway, I dont have new photos to be uploaded. But I'm going to Copacabana this weekend. Should be loads of fun! Btw ppl, my whatsapp has died. So I'm only reachable if you call me! :)) Love and kisses to all homies!

1 comment:

  1. The chaos sounds like India! As ridiculous as it is, I love it! Hope you're having a good time Copacabana. Muthu has conveniently arrived a day earlier in St Andrews while I was taking my royal afternoon nap. He told me he was going to China and I believed him! But he was actually in Dubai on his way here. Ridic. Also, I think you should watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmVfPt7fLY x

    ReplyDelete